Explore. Dream. Discover

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

-Mark Twain

Thursday, August 26, 2010

News from Cato Manor

Yesterday we moved into our homestays! My family is wonderful! We live in a cute little house on a hill in Cato Manor. As I've said in previous posts, my mama's name is Ruby. But to update the last info I posted: she lives with her two grandchildren Buwa (he's 18 although my info sheet said he was 16) and Simunye. Lungelo is in law school and only stays at the house sometimes. Lungelo, Buwa, and Simunye's mother lives in Johannesburg and works as a nurse. She's coming this weekend to celebrate Simunye's birthday and I'm curious to see if she's one of the many nurses striking in South Africa.

So despite being super nervous, everything turned out ok! Dinner was KFC chicken, a little bit of veggie curry (which was SO good), steamed veggies and rice. After dinner Simunye helped me with my Zulu homework. At 8 we watched a TV show called Generations. It's one of the most popular shows in South Africa. EVERYONE watches it. It's a soap opera set in modern South Africa and I enjoy watching it as an anthro major. After analyzing so many African films and TV shows for classes at Bates, I get a lot of the complex issues within media such as Generations.

So far everything is going well. Today is the last day of orientation and then all the other classes begin tomorrow. Miss you all so much!!!

Love,
Leah

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you are having a great time, Leah! and KFC hahaha. your family and program sound great. good luck and see you next semester!

    -Liz

    ReplyDelete