Explore. Dream. Discover

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

-Mark Twain

Friday, December 10, 2010

It's a Party in the USA

Today I arrived back in the States after being South Africa for 4 months! The last week of being in South Africa was awesome. My mom and John met me in Cape Town and we tried to check off all of our things on our "Cape Town Bucket List". This included going to Robben Island, taking the cable car to the top of Table Mountain, visiting a colony of African penguins, wine tasting in the wine region, and eating some of the best food in the world. Mission accomplished. We completed our bucket list as well as a few other things. We visited the National Gallery, walked in the Company Gardens, and went on a seal cruise. I can't even begin to describe how beautiful Cape Town truly is. Table Mountain really is one of the most stunning places in the world and the Cape Peninsula is just as beautiful. I hope I get a chance to go back and spend even more time there. I loved it!

After a week in Cape Town we went to Johannesburg for a day and visited TLC before we left the country. It was crazy being back at TLC after a year and seeing familiar faces there. Some of the little ones I had helped take care of were long gone and living with their forever families. Others were still being loved by TLC staff. It was crazy seeing how big the little ones were. My mom wanted to swipe one little girl. I'm not surprised, after being at TLC for 5 minutes you start to get attached to all the kids. And as crazy as it sounds, some of the little ones remembered me. One little boy I spent a lot of time with came crawling to me instantly. Another little one I spent a lot of time with recognized my voice. It was amazing to feel so connected to these kids.

And now, after a 18+ hour flight (weather in Joburg was bad) plus waiting in the Atlanta airport plus flying 2 hours to Cleveland, I'm back. 113 days later. 4 months of living, breathing, eating, and sleeping in South Africa. I can't even begin to sum up all the emotions I've been feeling since leaving South Africa: I'm happy, I'm sad, I'm confused. Yes there were times where I was frustrated, but overall it was one of the greatest experiences in my life. There's definitely things I'll miss....
1) living by the beach
2) being proposed to by random Zulu men
3) going to open air markets on a weekly basis
4) working with CANSA
5) being the legal drinking age
6) living so close to museums, clubs, gardens, and other awesome things to do
7) pretending to be able to speak Zulu

And things I won't miss....
1) not having a car
2) being proposed to by random Zulu men
3) paying for taxis
4) tomato sauce (pronounced toe-mah-toe, it's supposed to be ketchup)
5) cockroaches

I can't believe this is the end of my semester abroad. Thanks for following my blog and listening to me complain and brag for an entire semester. Next time I'll post to this blog is on my next adventure. Who knows where that will be: Africa? Asia? Europe? Australia? It's anyones guess. Hamba Kahle South Africa! I can't wait to see you again!

1 comment:

  1. I just returned from TLC... my daughter Shoshanna is adopting three from there so I have been visiting a month each year there to see the grand babas. I also wanted to bring a bunch home... they have a way to get into your heart, don't they....
    would love to hear how you are doing

    ReplyDelete