Explore. Dream. Discover

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

-Mark Twain

Friday, September 10, 2010

"Get Down", Zulu skits, and an "American" dinner

Last night, Meredith and I were playing with a bunch of the neighborhood kids. Camp kids, you'll be so proud of me. I taught them "Little Sally Walker" and "That's the Way You Get Down". All night all the kids were singing "That's the way you get down".

Today we had to perform skits in Zulu! My friend Sally B and I made a skit about a tourist (me) trying to find Moses Mabhida stadium. Sally played a kind Zulu lady who was helping me figure out how to get there. Other groups had way funnier skits. One group portrayed our academic director, Zed. They fit his lingo in between Zulu phrases which created a pretty funny skit. Zed phrases:
"Keep it Tidy"="keep it classy"
"Havin' a few toots"= "Having a few drinks"
"100%"=doing well
"Sorted"="good"

The rest of today we have lectures and time to work on our Community Health Seminar paper. Tonight, I'm cooking dinner for my family! Since we're supposed to cook "American" dinners, I'm making pasta with veggies and tomato sauce. When Smu and I were discussing dinner for tonight, she told me that she hated vegetables. After much debate, She promised she'd at least try what I cooked. Hopefully my family will like dinner! I'm planning on baking them an apple pie later in the semester.

Tomorrow we're on the road to see the Reed Dance. It's a traditional Zulu performance where young maidens perform Zulu dances for the Zulu King so he can choose a new bride. Polygamy is legal in South Africa (President Zuma even has 6 or so wives). Should be interesting to see this performance from a culturally relativistic perspective as well as a women's rights perspective. More about that on Monday!

Miss you all!
Love,
Leah

No comments:

Post a Comment