Explore. Dream. Discover

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

-Mark Twain

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

15 days left...

ISP time is quickly coming to an end. yikes! only 15 days left on the program. Here's an update of things that have happened since my last post...

On Friday my focus group was an epic fail. First, I had to find the "Psychology Department Honors Room" at UKZN. That in itself was a challenge since everyone I asked in the psych department had no idea what I was talking about. Once I found it, or at least what I though was the psych department honors room, I waited for an hour for the students to show up. None came. Oh well, I was able to get in contact with one of the students and I'll be meeting her today.

Saturday was a relaxing day, we went to Essenwood Market, Musgrave mall, and then hung out at the beach with the lifeguards. The lifeguards are all professional surfers which is pretty cool to say I'm friends with professional surfers...

Sunday we went to see another movie, this time we saw "The Social Network". Great movie, but it stressed me out! The guy who plays the creator of facebook talked so fast, I started getting a headache trying to keep up with what he way saying. Afterwards we went to Mugg & Bean for some yummy megamuffins which I will definitely miss.

Yesterday, I went to a Wellness Day event at a tyre company here in Durban. I worked at the CANSA table, providing information about cancer symptoms, treatment, and diagnosis. It was a great experience to learn a mechanism that is being used to teach employees about health issues. Other tables were set up featuring NGOs centered on TB, HIV, Alcohol Abuse, healthy diets, and exercise.

I also went to meet the artist who created the piece I saw at city hall. She is easily one of the coolest and most inspiring women I have ever met. I went with my friend Jalissa who is studying acceptability of the female condom amongst South African women. We arrived at her beautiful home in a nice neighborhood in Durban and were in awe of her studio. It had clean lines and a palate of black and white. She talked to us about her experiences with cancer and women's health issues in relation to her job as an artist. She showed us her previous work and explained them through her artistic lens. All of her work is a breath taking way of explaining humanitarian issues. It was an honor meeting her and getting to hear her perspective on HPV and cervical cancer.

So despite the Epic Fail that was Friday, Monday completely overshadowed it as an Epic Win!
Only 15 days left on the program. Which means only 10 days until my paper and presentations are due! I'm getting so excited for Cape Town, it's going to be amazing!

Love,
Leah

No comments:

Post a Comment